By observing the influence of the seasonal changes,
we can avoid illness.
As spring begins, the amount of daylight is increasing every day until summer arrives. The spring equinox was on 23rd September, 2023 which is when the sun passes the equator, which means day and night are nearly equal everywhere on earth. This marks the beginning of spring and from this point on, daylight grows and peaks at the summer solstice, the longest day of the year when it comes to hours of daylight.
Follow simple, healthful self-care practices to strengthen your body, mind and soul against illness and help you feel revitalized in spring!
1. Receiving Sunlight through the eyes, releases serotonin which stabilises our mood, feelings of well-being, joy and happiness and boosts energy. Sunlight cues special areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin. You’re more likely to experience depression in the winter time, when the days are shorter. This hormone impacts your entire body. It enables brain cells and other nervous system cells to communicate with each other. Serotonin also helps with sleeping, eating, and digestion.2. Grounding or Earthing is a therapeutic technique that involves doing activities that “ground” or electrically reconnect you to the “earth”. This practice relies on earthing science and grounding physics, which explains how electric charges from the earth can have positive effects on your body. One of the easiest ways to ground yourself to the earth is to walk barefoot. Allow your skin to touch the natural ground – grass, sand or dirt – to provide you with grounding energy. To increase your skin-to-earth contact, lye on the ground in the grass in the park or on the sand at the beach. 3. Waking and Going to Bed Early matches our biological tendencies to adapt our sleep pattern with that of the sun. You might find that you’re naturally sleepier after sundown. Circadian rhythm is a term to describe your brain’s natural sleep-wake schedule. It’s like our internal clock and dictates your natural bedtime and morning wake-up schedules. Once you get used to going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, your brain adapts to this schedule.4. Meditate to begin each day with a sense of connection to yourself and your stillness and continue it throughout the day. Here is a simple ‘Quality Building Gentle Breath Meditation’ I use. It honors that we deserve the time to develop, confirm and enjoy the quality of our own stillness. Helpful to calm a racy mind and let go of agitation and anxiousness in your body. Take the space to feel where you are at and to choose to breathe your own gentle breath, unaffected by the external demands of life. Give your body permission to be gentle and feel the protective layers of hardness dissolve. It was created by Serge Benhayon.5. Release Emotions and Stress through healthy outlets like being active, so they are not suppressed. Journaling for even 10 minutes per day, writing as an observer, recording your emotions without judgment. Identify emotions, so you can see patterns and make changes. Connect to your breath, to brings balance by activating the parasympathetic nervous system; this brings equilibrium and supports you being in the present.6. Stretch Yourself by reading inspirational words, to help loosen the grip of old habit, both mentally, physically and spiritually. Open your mind to new ideas and perceptions, versus staying in self-imposed limited viewpoints. Create healthy daily living patterns, and assert self-care and self-regulation. 7. Use Essential Oils are an effective self-care tool to help with any dis-ease you may be feeling, physically, emotionally, mentally or spiritually to align to you to you. Essential oils have different uses and benefits. Some essential oils can be used to improve sleep quality or uplift mood. Others can increase energy or reduce anxiety or depression. Others even provide pain relief, reduce inflammation, and more!
Here are some of my favorites:
Mood-Boosting – orange, grapefruit, lemon, bergamot
Mental Clarity – rosemary, juniper, basil, lemon
Stress and Anxiety Relief – lavender, chamomile, bergamot, rose, lavender, jasmine, cedarwood
Cleansing – peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus, kunzea
Anti-Bacterial – tea tree, grapefruit, eucalyptus, thyme, lemon
Anti-Inflammatory – peppermint, lavender, bergamot
Sleep – lavender, vertiver, chamomile, marjoram, sandalwood
8. Cleanse by drinking lemon juice, squeezed in warm filtered water upon rising, which stimulates your liver and activates bile flow; this helps emulsify and flush out fat soluble toxins and also decreases acidity, removing uric acid in joints, releasing toxins and reducing inflammation. Eat plenty of fiber rich vegetables to help cleanse your intestines.
9. Herbal Teas have been celebrated for their healing and cleansing properties for centuries. It has been proven that certain herbal teas can be used as a preventative remedy, for illness and infection as they fortify the immune system and boost health generally. It’s also a great way for your body to gently detoxify, cleanse and hydrate. Different herbal teas have different healing benefits.
Here are a few ideas:
Milk Thistle: Restores and protects the liver and stimulates the growth of new liver cells.
Chrysanthemum: Cleanses the liver, neutralises toxins, brightens vision, lowers blood pressure.
Dandelion Root: Enhances bile flow which supports liver health, therefore aiding detoxification.
Rose Petal: Cleanses the liver and gallbladder, eliminates toxins, calms the emotions.
If practicing self-care every day is a new concept to you, it might take some getting used to. And that’s okay! But please, don’t give up if it feels uncomfortable. The positive impact that self-care has on both you and everyone else in your life is truly remarkable and I promise you will notice a difference if you stick with it.
Seasonal Self-Care Pack for Spring
3 beautiful handmade products made with true intent, using Australian native essential oils to support your health and well-being in spring.
Each pack contains: 1. 10ml essential oil blend, 2. 100ml body oil, 3. 10ml roller, 4. Personal Inhaler.
- 10ml essential oil blend relieves mental fatigue and nervous tension, helping you feel alert, focused and clear. It’s enlivening crisp scent supports you meet any challenges, as it instills a sense of peace and calm. A strong decongestant and expectorant, the peppermint and eucalyptus peppermint harmonise with the eucalyptus and lemon tea tree to support immunity against spring allergic reactions, viruses and microbes. It assists to clear congestion in the respiratory system, relieve muscle aches, nerve pain, inflammation, general aches and pain and headaches.
Usage Tips: Dab a few drops on pulse point or a lava stone bracelet, into the base of the shower to vapourise, or a bath or base cream, onto a tissue, or smell directly from the bottle. Use in a personal inhaler (see below), or in a room diffuser. A steam inhalation also works well. Use a bowl of hot water, place a few drops of oil into it and a towel over your head and the bowl. Close your eyes and gently inhale the steam for several minutes. You can repeat this a few times throughout the day.
2. 100ml body oil, a wonderfully purifying, calming, invigorating blend, it uplifts and revives, lowering stress responses. The Grapefruit supports spring detoxification by stimulating the lymphatics and vascular system, boosting metabolism, reducing inflammation, nourishing the tissues cells and cleansing the body of waste products. The synergy of Kunzea, Lime and Tea Tree boost immunity, help the respiratory and digestive system, while transforming emotional and physical pain.
Usage Tips: Shake the bottle, apply a few pumps to any part of the body that needs attention, in a circular anti-clockwise motion. Allow the essential oils to be up-taken through the skin and go to where the body most needs. Leave the oil on the skin throughout the day or overnight to get the full benefits.
3. 10ml roller blend, a fresh soft, uplifting earthy aroma, enhances mood as it eases depression, anxiety and insomnia. Boosts detoxification, purifies the blood, supporting respiration, relieving coughs, colds, asthma, bronchitis. Settles digestion and restores sleep. It helps you stay grounded and connected to ‘you’. Red Jasper crystals are added to bring stability, maintain equilibrium, and stay grounded – in a jojoba oil base.
Usage Tips: Roll onto pulse points any time of day, or before bed to help ground and relax you before surrendering into sleep.
A personal inhaler can help you deal with various emotional, mental and physical issues. They are a simple, safe and fun way to use essential oils. Read more
Order here: E: email@example.com M: 0400584598
For thousands of years the Australian aboriginals relied on these unique and diverse range of plant species, to treat illness and infections. We are so fortunate to have such a wide range of native flowers, fruits, herbs and trees to draw from that contain powerful healing properties. Enjoy the healing benefits Australia Native essential oils offer.